Monday 4 October 2010

...of a vow

My fingers were beginning to bleed a little, the skin had blistered. She tore up a handkerchief and bandaged them. We exchanged no words. The peace I had invoked for her had descended also upon me; and it so ordinary, so simple that no outsider could ever have shaken it. For indeed he had returned so quietly to everyday life, that not the most attentive onlooker could have gauged the mystery of this secret, which already was no longer ours. She has asked me to hear her confession tomorrow. I have made her promise to tell nobody of what passed between us, and on my side I have vowed absolute silence. ‘No matter what may happen’ I said; and my heart sank with these last words, and again sadness overcame me, ‘God’s will be done’.

[Diary of a Country Priest, Bernanos, G.]

- submitted by Pearce, M. A.

No comments:

Post a Comment