Friday 12 November 2010

...of displeasure

My habit of being silent when displeased, or, more exactly, the cold and scaly quality of my displeased silence, used to frighten Valeria out of her wits. She used to whimper and wail, saying "Ce qui me rend folle, c'est que je ne sais a quoi tu penses quand tu es comme ca." I tried being silent with Charlotte - and she just chirped on, or chucked my silence under the chin. An astonishing woman! I would retire to my former room, now a regular "studio," mumbling I had after all a learned opus to write, and cheerfully Charlotte went on beautifying the home, warbling on the telephone and writing letters. From my window, through the lacquered shiver of poplar trees, I could see her crossing the street and contentedly mailing her letter to Miss Phalen's sister.

[Lolita, Nabokov, V.]

No comments:

Post a Comment