Saturday 12 November 2011

...of drama

The Reston Interview:

Me, I had been trying to get the hell out of there. The knock had turned into this heavy awful pounding. The hallway door was still bolted shut and barricaded but I just knew all hell was about to break loose.
In fact, my first thought was that it was Holloway, thought that hammering was awful hard. I mean the whole wall shuddered with every hit, and I'm thinking if that is Holloway he's changed and I don't need to reacquaint myself with this new and improved version. Especially not now.
[Reston repositions his wheelchair slightly]
My chair was still pretty messed up so I couldn't move as fast as I normally do. Then all of a sudden, the pounding stops. Just like that. Silence. No banging, no growl, nothing. And boy, I don't know how to describe it but that silence was more powerful than any sound, any call. I had to answer it, that silence, I mean, I had to respond. I had to look.

[House of Leaves, Danielewski, M. Z.]

No comments:

Post a Comment