Wednesday 10 April 2013

...of a flunkey

You say there was another servant
Better if I hadn't mentioned him, not interesting and no more chatty than the others never a word from him either, we should have got on together after all working for the same folk eating together always run off our feet together, but no nothing it was as much as he could do not to tread on my corns and even if he had and knocked me about I think I'd rather have had that than the silence it's true, I wasn't made for a graveyard like that as a young man I was full of life didn't have to ask me twice to tell a good story I knew some I knew some, but now I can hardly remember any so you see the others didn't do me much good, the flunkey I used to call him the flunkey and that put him against me he'd keep his lips pursed in a vicious circle, for two pins I'd have had a word with my gentlemen but knowing them it wasn't worth it they would have sent me packing, besides they preferred the other chap always  fussing round them he's the one you ought to interrogate but where is he now, it's no wonder if he hasn't joined the other one a couple of blighters like that could be up to anything they ought to get on together, they got on well enough anyway nattering in corners and how could the flunkey have stayed on without someone to chat to, you need a make-up like mine to make-do with things as they were
What good would conversation have done you seeing you're deaf

[The Inquisitory, Pinget, R.]

No comments:

Post a Comment