Tuesday 3 June 2014

...of resistance

The lieutenant said, 'Is no one willing to help?'
They stood silent beside the decayed bandstand. He said, 'You heard what happened at Concepcion. I took a hostage there... and when I found that this priest had been in the neighbourhood I put the man against the nearest tree. I found out because there's always someone who changes his mind - perhaps because somebody in Concepcion loved the man's wife and wanted him out of the way. It's not my business to look into reasons. I only know we found wine later in Concepcion... Perhaps there's somebody in this village who wants your piece of land - or your cow. It's much safer to speak now. Because I'm going to take a hostage here too.' He paused. Then he said, 'There's no need even to speak, if he's among you. Just look at him. No one will know then that it was you who gave him away. He won't know himself if you're afraid of his curses. Now... This is your last chance.
The priest looked at the ground - he wasn't going to make it difficult for the man who gave him away.
'Right,' the lieutenant said, 'then I shall choose my man. You've brought it on yourselves.'

[The Power and the Glory, Greene, G.]

No comments:

Post a Comment