Tuesday 30 December 2014

...of procrastination

...If I go and start now I might be successful, I told myself, but I hadn't the courage to go to the desk. The intention was there, but I hadn't the strength, either the physical or mental strength. I stood looking at the desk through the doorway, wondering when would be the right moment to go up to it, sit down and begin work. I listened, but I heard nothing. Although my house is surrounded by my neighbours' houses, there was not a sound to be heard. It was as though at this moment everything was dead. I suddenly found this state of affairs pleasant and tried to make it last as long as possible. I was able to make it last for several minutes and to enjoy the idea, the certainty, that everything around me was dead. Then, suddenly, I said to myself, Go to your desk, sit down, and write the first sentence of your study. Not cautiously, but decisively! But I hadn't the strength. I stood there, hardly daring to breathe. If I sit down, they'll at once be some interruption, some unforeseen incident. They'll be a knock at the door, or a neighbour will call out, or the postman will ask for my signature. You must quite simply sit down and begin. Without thinking about it, as if you were asleep, you must get the first sentence down on paper, and so on...

[Concrete, Bernhard, T.]

No comments:

Post a Comment