Sunday 22 February 2015

...of reprieve

The soldier hitched up his belt. His movement caught my attention and I stopped thinking for a moment.
Then I tried to calculate the distance to the forest and the time it would take him to pick up his rifle and shoot if I should suddenly escape. The forest was too far; I would die midway on the sandy ridge. At best I might reach the patch of weeds, in which I would still be visible and unable to run fast.
The soldier rose and stretched with a groan. Silence surrounded us. The soft wind blew away the smell of the gasoline and brought back a fragrance of marjoram and fir resin.
He could, of course, shoot me from the back, I thought. People preferred killing a person without looking into his eyes.
The soldier turned toward me and pointing to the forest made a gesture with his hand which seemed to say, "run away, be off!" So the end was coming. I pretended I did not understand and edged toward him. He moved back violently, as if fearing I might touch him, and angrily pointed to the forest, shielding his eyes with his other hand.

[The Painted Bird, Kosinski, J.]

No comments:

Post a Comment