Friday 1 January 2016

…of insouciance

“I see,” she said. “I see, so the two of you are getting a divorce.”
A few moments passed, then she added: “That was a surprise.”
She shrugged, in resignation… or indifference perhaps… as if to illustrate how little she cared, and drank what looked like the last dregs from her cup. I said a silent prayer that she would let the subject lie, which it seemed she wanted to do as well. She was probably uneasy about showing too much interest in the unexpected news, and at that moment I was indebted to her for exactly that. Because what would I have answered, if she had begun to question me… about the cause of the breakup… about our reasons for wanting to leave each other… about how we planned to organise our new lives… when we had no intention at all of doing it?

[Self-Control, Sæterbakken, S.]

No comments:

Post a Comment