Tuesday 8 March 2011

...of an introvert

That the life of Man is but a dream has been sensed by many a one, and I too am never free of the feeling. When I consider the restrictions that are placed on the active, inquiring energies of Man; when I see that all our efforts have no other result than to satisfy needs which in turn serve no purpose but to prolong our wretched existence, and then see that all our reassurance concerning the particular questions we probe is no more than a dreamy resignation, since all we are doing is to paint our prison walls with colourful figures and bright views - all of this, Wilhelm, leaves me silent. I withdraw into myself, and discover a world, albeit a notional world of dark desire rather than actuality and vital strength. And everything swims before my senses, and I go my way in the world wearing the smile of a dreamer.

[The Sorrows of Young Werther, Goethe, J W v.]

No comments:

Post a Comment