Monday 21 March 2011

...of temperament

"I've never cried," she continued, "but also I've never been especially gay. I understand nothing of these distinctions, these various things. I've always been solemn, always just as you see me now. I've never been angry or sad. I'm always the same, and so people called me indifferent and looked at me wickedly, though I've never brought anyone sorrow or harm. People never understood me, and so they became angry, spurned me, and drove me away, they want to know and understand everything at once. My silence, which I love as I do the heaven I have faith in, roused them against me. I offended them with my calmness, my silence, but it wasn't out of spite I was calm and silent. I've never wished to offend anyone with my bearing. I was born as I am, but people always think one is intentionally this way or another. This doesn't other me much, and today, when you're with me, not at all. You're good, you love me and trust me. You're calm and aren't afraid of me."

[Marie, Walser, R.]

- submitted by Pearce, M A.

No comments:

Post a Comment