Saturday 1 October 2016

...of love

At first I stayed out of his way and let him work in peace, out on the balcony. He stood there in his earwarmer just measuring and angling the saw. It doesn’t look like he was making much progress, though, so I asked if I could help with sawing. He said that would be good, so that he could focus on measuring.
The day before his vaction was over Epsilon finished the box. It couldn’t have been nicer. He’d even varnished it and when I opened the lid I saw that he’d burned “To my beloved Mathea” on the bottom. Usually I only hear him say “I love you” when we’ve already gone to bed and he thinks I’m asleep, and I say “ich liebe dich von ganzem Herzen” back to him when I think he’s asleep, so I blushed when I read the words at the bottom of the box, and Epsilon blushed even more, and neither of us mentioned it again.
It’s been an eternity since Epsilon set that box next to my chair so proudly, and I ceremoniously put my knitting things inside it. I wish someone else knew about this.

[The Faster I Walk The Smaller I Am, Skomsvold, K. A.]

No comments:

Post a Comment